Saturday, August 6, 2011

Where is the passion at for Marlins Fans

Last night, I got the pleasure of going to an MLB game. I was excited as I always am to see pro players go do their thing. I have to start out by saying this game was in Miami at Sun Life Stadium. For all of you who have never been there, it is a football stadium first. Now I am not a fan of the local team -- the Marlins -- however, I am a fan of their rival the Mets, so of course I go there wearing my Mets jersey and as always/ I ran into to some fans of other teams.

Just in the parking lot there were Yankees fans who travel everywhere it seems even if their team isn't playing there and what happens as we sit there tailgating he starts to talk shit to me just because I am in a Mets jersey. He was one of those cocky Yankees fans who just ragged on the Mets. I ignore it and go inside now. And this is where the night gets interesting.

As I am walking up to my seats I see more Marlins fans which is great. Also see some Cardinals fans. I walk past the stand where they sell hats and other stuff and what do I see but a David Wright jersey. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. They weren't even playing the Mets and yet there was Mets gear for sale.


I said to myself, "Why?"

How could you be selling another teams gear in your store? The night gets better. As the game starts, the place is half empty they have the upper deck closed off so you can tell how big the stadium really is. The place is quiet, but as the night went on, it filled up nicely -- but the place remained quiet. I think I heard more comments about me being a Mets fan and my buddy wearing a Yankees hat than I heard "Let's Go Marlins" chants.

Then as the Cardinals went ahead going into the 9th inning, you would think that Marlins fans would get up and put some rally caps on. But no they didn't. They quietly sat there as they made an out -- then not until they loaded the bases did the Marlins fans even stand up.

As a baseball fan first, it made me angry to see that these fans didn't seem to have any of passion for their team and it's sad to go to a park and see it half empty and more chatter among people than really cheering for the team.

It made me lose a lot of respect for Marlins fans and made me think twice about taking that two-hour drive to see them play if it's not fun going to the game. I would rather go see the St. Lucie Mets play because even the passion and fun factor there is better than for this so-called Big-League club.

I hope with the new stadium coming to the Miami Marlins next year that fans who like this club start to get behind them, because they have a good young core of players and a direction that is going places. The new park is indoors and comes with all the amenities.

I just hope that this is what the Marlins need to help made baseball fun in South Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook